Breakfast is the most important meal of the day because it helps keep kids full and focused throughout the school day. But for many students, eating before they get to school is not an option. That’s why Fuel Up to Play 60 is partnering with Share our Strength and Dean’s Foods to make sure all students have the chance to fuel up before class.
The “It Starts with School Breakfast” campaign aims to empower students and families to lead change in their schools and communities and increase school breakfast awareness and participation.
And what better time to highlight school breakfast than in March – National Nutrition Month. Fuel Up to Play 60 enrolled schools are encouraged to host events focusing on school breakfast, then upload information about the events to the Fuel Up to Play 60 dashboard for a chance to win great NFL prizes! Your school could even win the grand prize – a visit from an NFL player! Just enter by March 31! (For official rules, click here.)
Here are a few ideas for fun breakfast events:
1. Host a Breakfast Picnic: Get the students out of the cafeteria into a new picnic area (wherever you decide that to be) where they can enjoy nutritious, easily packable foods. (Learn more here.)
2. School Breakfast Tailgate Takeover: Turn your school hallways into a tailgate party! Create a menu of breakfast favorites and serve them in the hall.
3. Taste Test Day: Encourage students to try new breakfast foods, and vote for their favorites! Following the event, work with your school’s nutrition director to see if the top scoring foods can be permanent menu items. (Learn more here.)
4. Guess Who Starts With Breakfast? Invite local celebrities, heroes and local leaders to your school for a community breakfast event.
5. Get creative! Make up an event with the help of your Fuel Up to Play 60 student team
We can’t wait to see how your school starts the day off with breakfast!