The Iowa Hawkeyes, Midwest Dairy Council and more than 100 Fuel Up to Play 60 student leaders and advisors from 11 Iowa schools joined forces at Kinnick Stadium April 26 to celebrate their accomplishments, share ideas and experience the excitement of the program. The energy‐filled Game Day Reward Summit 2012 provided participants with the tools to play a more active role and enlist more participation in their school’s Fuel Up to Play 60 program.
Student leaders participated in on‐field warm‐ups on Kinnick Field with Iowa Hawkeye players and staff, toured the stadium’s locker rooms, ran out onto the field like the Hawks do before each game, had their photo taken with Herky, and collaborated with students from across the state to develop plans for next year while enjoying a healthful lunch that included whole grains, fruits, and vegetables, as well as low‐fat and fat‐free dairy.
The invitation‐only event featured students and schools selected for their performance and outstanding excellence in the program during the 2011‐2012 academic year. Participating schools included:
- Callanan Middle School ‐ Des Moines
- Central Community School ‐ Elkader
- Central Springs ‐ Nora Springs
- Hills Elementary ‐ Iowa City
- Indianola Middle School ‐ Indianola
- Lovejoy Elementary ‐ Des Moines
- Parkview Middle School ‐ Ankeny
- Prairie Ridge Middle School ‐ Ankeny
- Waverly Shell Rock Middle School ‐ Waverly
- West Marshall ‐ State Center
- Wings Park Elementary ‐ Oelwein
Midwest Dairy Council health and wellness partners also participated in the event. Students were joined by representatives from Iowa’s Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, which recently added information about the Fuel Up to Play 60 program to its website and uploaded several more images from Game Day to their photo gallery.